Mulligan No. 2
Original Oil on Board
52 1/2"w x 47 7/8"h
Leroy Neiman - Mulligan No. 2 - Original Oil on Board - 1963
- Dimensions Unframed: 52 1/2"w x 47 7/8"h
- Dimensions Framed: 54 1/2"w x 49 7/8"h
- Vintage Oil Painting 1963
- Owned by One Family (3 Generations)
- Sold by Hammer Galleries, His Publisher & Includes Documentation
- Very Large Oil On Board
- Includes Gallery Certificate of Authenticity
Gerry Mulligan was a world famous composer, arranger and saxophonist who influenced jazz music. He was a Grammy Award winning artist. Leroy Neiman was fond of Gerry Mulligan and painted two large oil paintings and several smaller mixed media drawings.
Louis Armstrong purchased one of these Leroy Neiman large oil paintings of Gerry Mulligan. It is displayed in the living room of his home. In 1977, his home was declared a National Historic Landmark and is now a museaum. It was named the Armstrong House Museum, which is the final resting place of his Neiman Oil of Mulligan.
"Though Neiman has long served as the most recognizable American artist of the post-war era, his recent passing has added rocket fuel to the fire of his market, with four of his works soaring into six-figure territory in recent Heritage auctions. We expect the climb in pricing to continue, and for smart investors to be paying close attention when this classic work hits the block."
- Heritage Auctions (ha.com)